By Aishwarya Kaushal, Sunday, 13th October 2013
Acne, medically known as Acne Vulgaris, is a skin disease that involves the oil glands at the base of hair follicles. It commonly occurs during puberty when the sebaceous (oil) glands come to life – the glands are stimulated by male hormones produced by the adrenal glands of both males and females.
Most of us have suffered from the demon in our teenage years and some of us may well be affected by it even in adulthood. There are a million topical “cures” of acne flooding the market including face washes, packs, toners, lotions, treatments etc. But, have you ever wondered what your acne is trying to tell you in disguise?
The place of your zits can tell you a lot about what is wrong with your body.
1. Forehead : Acne on this area signals a problem within the digestive system. Eat less processed or junk food, reduce the amount of fat in your diet, step up your water intake and opt for cooling foods like cucumber and watermelon.
2. Center Of The Forehead and Middle Of The Eyebrows : This shows liver dysfunction. Cut out alcohol, dairy and greasy food. This is the zone where food allergies also show up first so keep a check on your ingredients. Besides this, do a 30 minute light workout and sleep well so your liver can rest.
3. Temples : Anything around the eyes ( including dark circles ) points to dehydration. So, drink up!
4. Nose : Pimples on the nose may be due to a heart problem. Check your blood pressure and Vitamin B levels. Decrease the intake of spicy and pungent food, cut down on meat and get more fresh air. Besides this, look into ways to lower cholesterol, like replacing “bad fats” with “good fats” such as Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids found in nuts, avocados, fish and flax seeds. Also, since this area is chock full of dilated pores, check that you do not apply expired makeup and use non-clogging products on your face.
5. Ears : There might be something wrong with the kidney function. Again, drink up. Cut down on aerated drinks, coffee and alcohol as all these will cause further dehydration.
6. Cheeks : Zits on the cheek signal respiratory system issues. Do you smoke? Have allergies? This is your problem area for both. If neither of these is the issue, don’t let your body overheat, eat more cooling foods, cut down on sugar and get more fresh air. Also, keep the body more alkaline by avoiding foods that make the body acidic ( meat, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, sugar ) and adding more alkalizing foods like green veggies and wheatgrass juice. Another thing that most of us forget – Dirty cell phones and pillow cases are two of the top acne culprits and this area is what they affect the most.
7. Sides Of The Chin : This shows hormonal imbalance. This the signature zone for stress and hormonal changes. And while both are sometimes unavoidable, you can decrease their effect by getting adequate sleep, drinking enough water, eating leafy vegetables and keeping the skin scrupulously clean. Another interesting point; breakouts in this area indicate when you are ovulating ( and on which side ). To prevent pimples that occur during or before your periods, use an anti acne face wash during PMS, preferably something with Salicylic acid and/or Benzyl Peroxide.
8. On The Chin : This area indicates problems with the stomach. Increase your fibre intake, reduce the toxin overload and drink herbal teas to help with digestion.
9. Neck : Pimples on the neck may be due to an underlying illness. Zits here can be a sign that your body is fighting bacteria to avoid illness. Give it a break, take a yoga class, take a nap, take time to breathe deeply, drink plenty of water and know that everything will be fine!
I hope this was helpful.
Read helpful tips on Oily Skin HERE
Quick DIYs for Beautiful Skin HERE
Please Like, Comment, Share and Subscribe To This Blog for email notifications of new posts!
For any other query, feel free to write to me at email@example.com
Thank you for reading! 🙂