By Aishwarya Kaushal, Monday, 19th August 2013
So today I am going to write about one of the most common skin issues – Oiliness! I will share with you some of my tips on how to help deal with an oily face and how to make the best out of it.
Oily skin is the result of overactive sebaceous glands that secrete excess oil onto the surface of our skin. It might be due to hormones, teen age, heat, humidity, excess scrubbing, pregnancy, menopause, birth control pills or it may be hereditary.
Oily skin is usually accompanied with large pores and acne. Your pore size will majorly depend on your parent’s pore size. However, there are some remedies to shrink your pores and reduce acne which we will discuss further.
First of all, Oily Skin is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L 🙂
Each one of us that has it and hates it should remember the multiple benefits of oily skin
– We will show signs of aging like wrinkles, age spots, fine lines, dull skin, dry skin much later that the normal/dry skinned.
– We always have an undeniable glow to our faces! 🙂
– Oily skin looks supple, well moisturized and soft all the time.
– Oily skin tans evenly.
Having said all that, I know it can be troublesome. So now we shall talk about some of my tips and ideas on keeping us fresh and matte for longer.
1. Eat right :
A) Start with what you put inside. An oily plate will result in an oily face. In order to avoid an oil explosion on your face, it is advised to eat fresh fruits everyday. Having a colorful plate of food ensures that you eat all the nutrients you need.
B) Consume food that is rich in Antioxidants like berries, spinach, carrots and other vibrantly colored fruits and vegetables. Also, include Omega-3 Fatty Acids your diet by consuming tuna, salmon, mackerel, walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds. It helps improve the texture of your skin.
C) Avoid too much sugar and concentrate on more protein and complex carbohydrates.
D) Minimize your intake of animal fats and dairy products.
2. Drink right :
A) Always have a bottle of water handy. Water helps blood circulation and keeps the brain active too. Dehydration may result in excess oiliness as the sebaceous glands may go into overdrive and compensate for the lost oil. Drinking water will also keep you fresh throughout the day.
B) Avoid soda ( carbonated drinks ). Our skin needs Oxygen to look beautiful and not Carbon Dioxide. Sodas have absolutely no nutritional value. The Phosphoric Acid in them may decrease the body’s ability to use calcium hence weakening bones. Caffeine may cause jitters, insomnia, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, elevated blood cholesterol levels, vitamin and mineral depletion, breast lumps, birth defects, and perhaps some forms of cancer. Plus excessive sugar. Need I say more?
C) Avoid sugary drinks too. It is a proven fact that sugar increases insulin levels, which can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, weight gain, premature aging and many more negative side effects.
D) Avoid alcohol.
3. Cleansing :
A) Always wash your hands before washing your face. Wash your face no more than twice a day.
B) When looking for a face wash, look for words that say “Oil Control”, “Deep Cleaning”, “Mattifying”, “Foaming”, “Oil Free” etc. Avoid the ones that say “Hydrating”, “Moisturizing”, “Creamy” etc. Look for face washes with Salicylic Acid as it helps in controlling oil. If you also suffer from acne then look for ones containing a very small percentage of Benzoyl Peroxide.
C) Some recommendations :
– Pond’s Skin Mattifying Oil Control Face Wash. Detailed review HERE : Rs 119/- ($1.93)
– The Body Shop Seaweed Deep Cleansing Facial Wash – Rs. 595/- ($9.65)
– Pond’s Smooth Pores Pore Tightening Face Wash – Rs. 75/- ($1.22)
– The Body Shop Tea Tree Facial Wash – Rs. 595/- ($9.65)
– Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash – Rs. 425/- ($6.89)
– Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser ( Normal to Oily skin ) – Rs. 495/- ($8)
D) Remember to rub the face wash into your skin for at least 20 seconds in the most oily places in light circular motions. Then wash off with lukewarm water. Make the last few splashes with cold water as it helps close the pores.
E) Do not expect miracles from your face wash. No face wash can keep you matte forever. It will just help regulate surface oil secretion and provide a smooth base for further skincare.
4. Toning :
A) Oily skin benefits from astringents and toners. They tighten the skin and help shrink pores. However make sure they do not contain Alcohol or Acetone as they may cause skin darkening and are very drying for the skin which may result in excess production of Sebum (oil).
B) Rose water and cucumber water are both good for toning the skin. They are not extremely drying and leave the skin feeling fresh. You can make cucumber water at home by grating cucumber and squeezing the water out from it through a muslin cloth. Keep it in a spray bottle in the refrigerator. Refresh your stock every few days.
You can also make an acne fighting and oil regulating spray with Tea Tree Oil. Tea Tree Oil is readily available in the market. Mix about 4-6 drops of Tea Tree Oil into about 50 ml of water. Shake well and spray it onto your face after washing or whenever you need to freshen up during the day.
C) Other options available in the market :
– FabIndia Tea Tree Toner – Rs.135/- ($2.19)
– The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Toner – Rs. 795/- ($12.90)
– Kiehl’s Cucumber Herbal Alcohol-Free Toner – Rs. 700/- ($11)
– Nivea Visage Oil Regulating Toner – Rs. 149/- ($2.42)
– VLCC Skin Defence Punarnava Astringent – Rs. 110/- ($1.78)
D) Always remember to do a patch test. Some of these toners and astringents may sting and cause redness. It takes trial and error to decide what works for YOU. Each one of us is different and has different skin types and hence different needs.
5. Moisturizing :
A) Oily skin also needs moisture, just in moderation. If we do not moisturize our sebaceous glands will over compensate for the lost moisture and we will end up looking like an oily mess!
B) Look for moisturizers that say “Oil Free”, “Light”, “Gel” etc. Use a pea sized amount to moisturize your whole face. Remember, the less layers of product you have on your face, the better.
C) Again, what may work for someone, may not work for you and vice-versa. It takes trial and error to find one that works specifically for you. Some of the moisturizers are :
– L’Oreal Anti Shine Icy Gel – Rs. 499/- ($8.09)
– Vicky Normaderm Total Mat Anti-Shine Mattifier – Rs. 790/- ($12.81)
– The Body Shop Sea Weed Mattifying Day Cream – Approximately Rs. 1000/- ($16.90)
– Lotus Herbals Alphamoist – Rs. 175/- ($2.84)
– Lotus Herbals Acne Gel – Rs. 233/- ($3.78)
– Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture – Rs. 299/- ($4.85)
– Fab India Vitamin E Skin Hydrating Cream For Oily Skin – Rs. 165/- ($2.68)
– Lacto Calamine For Oily to Normal Skin – Rs. 125/- ($2.03)
– Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel – Rs.1534/- ($24.88)
6. Scrubs and Masks :
A) It helps to steam your face before doing an at home facial because the heat helps open up your pores driving out impurities.
B) Scrubbing will help get rid of blackheads and whiteheads. Oily skin benefits from scrubbing because it gets more dead skin build up trapping impurities and dirt. But, over exfoliating will result in angry sebaceous glands. Scrub no more than twice a week.
C) Always remember, the purpose of scrubbing your face is NOT to scratch your skin but to remove surface impurities and reveal new ‘un-dead’ skin. Scrub your face with light circular motions and always extend it to the neck and decolletage area.
D) Face masks will also help draw out impurities. They will scrub chemically as opposed to physical exfoliation that we perform ourselves when we use a scrub. They will also help revitalize dull skin. Clay masks do wonders for oily skin. They should be done once a week or once in two weeks.
E) Here are some of the options to choose from :
– Nivea Pure Effect Total Face Cleanup – Rs. 199/- ($3.23)
– The Body Shop Vitamin C Microdermabrasion – Rs. 1395/- ($22.63)
– Clinique 7 day scrub cream – Rs 1700/- ($27.58)
– Kama Ayurveda Kumkumadi Brightening Face Scrub – Rs. 795/- ($12.90)
– Garnier Pure Active Blackhead Uprooting Scrub – Rs 150/- ($2.43)
– Kiehl’s Pineapple Papaya Facial Scrub – Rs. 1700/- ($27.58)
– Lancome Pure Empreinte Masque – Rs. 2200/- ($35.69)
– Himalaya Gentle Exfoliating Walnut/Apricot Scrub – Rs. 115/- ($1.87)
– Clarins Extra Firming Face Mask – Rs. 2900/- ($47.04)
– The Body Shop Sea Weed Ionic Clay Mask – Rs. 1195/- ($19.38)
– The Body Shop Tea Tree Face Mask – Rs. 895/- ($14.52)
– Himalaya Neem Face Pack – Rs. 65/- ($1.05)
– Forest Essentials Facial Ubtan Multani Mitti – Rs. 595/- ($9.65)
– Vichy Normaderm 3 in 1 – Rs. 390/- ($6.33)
7. Sunscreen :
A) Never Skip Sunscreen! Even on a cloudy day.
Finding the perfect sunscreen is extremely tricky for oily skin. During the day you can skip your moisturizer and just use sunscreen as sunscreen in itself is emollient enough.
B) Sunscreens that are oily can play havoc on your already oily skin. So, it is essential to find a water / gel based one.
C) Here are a few to try :
– Lotus Herbals Safe Sun UV Screen Matte Gel PA+++ SPF 50 – Rs. 285/- ($4.62)
– Proactive Daily Protection Plus Sunscreen SPF 30 – Rs. 799/- ($12.96)
– Vichy SPF 50 Capital Soleil Mattifying Face Fluid Dry Touch – Rs. 890/- ($14.44)
– Vichy Capital Soleil Micro-Fluid Mat For Face SPF 50+ – Rs. 1250/- ($20.28)
8. Other things you can do to help decrease Shine and Acne :
A) Tea Tree Oil can be used as a spot treatment. It is drying and anti bacterial so it can help clear up acne.
B) DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE. I know it sounds weird but it makes all the sense. Only touch your face while performing your skin care routine with clean hands. Your hands have been everywhere and carry dirt and bacteria from whatever you touch. Whenever you touch your face, you are transferring bacteria from your hands to your face. Avoid playing with your face, resting it in your hands, popping pimples and blackheads etc.
C) Clean Your Phone. If you tend to develop more acne on one side of your face than the other, it could be due to your phone. Remember the last time you cleaned your phone? No? Well, do it now! Your phone goes everywhere with you. You touch it while doing anything and everything and it directly touches your face. Clean it with rubbing alcohol once everyday and use earphones instead.
D) Many of us develop hormonal acne around our mouth and chin area during PMS and that time of the month. To avoid a pimple from occurring or to make it go away quicker, use an acne wash or a face wash with Salicylic Acid a week before your periods.
E) Clean your makeup brushes. They gather dirt and bacteria from the surroundings and then directly touch your face. Deep clean your brushes with a brush cleanser or baby shampoo minimum once a week and spot clean then by spraying that Tea Tree Spray we made earlier onto them. A few spritzes is all it takes.
F) Sleep on a silk pillowcase. It makes the skin softer, hair shinier and less coarse. Also spray your pillowcase with the Tea Tree Spray to disinfect it.
G) Wear a scarf / hat when outdoors. Oily skin attracts dirt and tans quicker. So cover your face with something until you reach indoors. Also, wearing a wide-brimmed hat will prevent tanning.
H) Carry tissue papers. Have you seen those tissue boxes that most people keep in their cars? Those cheap tissues? They come in extremely handy for blotting your face. Just split the tissue from any corner into 2 full tissues of only one layer each and blot your face with the one thin layer. Touch up with your regular powder / compact.
I) Milk Of Magnesia is also a great mattifier that works like a dream on oily skin. Get it at any local chemist ( non flavored ). Shake extremely well and apply a very thin layer on oily areas. Let it dry and continue with your life! 🙂 It also helps your makeup stay on all day!
J) ALWAYS extend your skincare regime to your neck and decolletage area because the skin on your neck and decolletage is as sensitive as your face and shows the first signs of aging. The skin below the face is not too oily so use the appropriate products. Moisturize, scrub and apply masks as you would on your face.
K) Don’t sweat it! Oily skin is a boon! Learn to love yourself. Self love is the first love and you are PERFECT the way you are!
I hope these tips were helpful for you! Please like, comment, share and follow this blog! 🙂
PS. Skin Care for Dry Skin Coming Soon. Also, Makeup Tips For Oily Skin Coming Soon!
So Stay Tuned! 😀